Thursday 23 June 2011

Weekender Report




I am relieved to report that the Weekender was a fantastic success. We had over 70 guests on the Friday night to listen to our guest speakers Paul Procter and Jeremy Lucas. The food at the Tufton was excellent as was the ale and the company.

Despite the weather forecast and a wet start the fishing on Saturday was very good indeed. I have received reports from many of the anglers saying what a wonderful time they had in truly stunning surroundings. Two of my friends had very good days indeed. The funniest moment for me was trying to light my Kelly Kettle with virtually no breeze to get a draw. At one point I think we filled the whole of the Eden Valley with our emissions and it was only sheer bloody mindedness that eventually resulted in cups of rather smokey tea (a new Cumbrian delicacy).

Sunday arrived and the river was slowly rising. Despite this, again many fish were caught and one of the rods guided by Glynn Freeman landed a fresh grilse of about 6lbs.

Will we be running this event again?..You Bet!

Our good friends at Wild Trout Trust are planning to hold their Annual Get-together in Appleby, on or around the second weekend in June. If you could not make this years event make sure you come along in 2012....you will not be disappointed.




I would like to thank all of the owners, fishing clubs, guides and speakers that made this weekend possible. I would also like to thank the Wild Trout Trust for their help in promoting and organising the event.




Lastly 'without the trout' none of this would have been possible!